Sunday, December 26, 2010

Intro to Music?

I realized that many people, 99% to be specific, of the people I know don't know anything about classical music. Except that I'm obsessed with it. So this blog has come to existance for exactly that reason, because I would like to educate them with some classical music. And I do realize that most of them will ignore my attempts, but I will atleast try. So here goes.

First of all, I will start by saying that music is completely subjective, as is the case with literature and visual art. A single piece of music could be interpretted in multiple ways and played with various styles, that does not mean that any of them are wrong. As I said, music is subjective, it has no strict rights and wrongs.

One of the reasons many people say that classical music is boring, is because it has no lyrics, well except for opera. I personally think that having no lyrics is precisely why classical music is so great. Instead of focusing on the words, you actually hear the music. It's also great for relaxation, at least most of the pieces are.

If you try to learn an instrument, like I am desperately trying to learn the piano (which is arguably the easiest instrument to learn), you would come to appreciate the time and effort in which each musician has spent in perfecting his or her playing skills. It is really amazing when around 50 mucisians play together in complete harmony, in my opinion at least.

Also, I don't know a great deal about classical music either. As I try to introduce you to pieces of different styles and artists, I would be teaching myself first about them first. I'm going to enjoy this, as you probably realize by now how obsessed with classical music I am. I can only hope that you will enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment